Wednesday, October 26, 2011


Neighborhood Review - Part One: Dorchester!
Once coming to Boston, the big question is: Where shall i live?
Boston offers many nice neighborhoods and I chose Dorchester as the perfect place to live for me, so here some facts about Bostons biggest neighborhood!
Dorchester is known as the part of Boston with the most diversity of different cultures and influences and that is what makes living in Dorchi so interesting for me. You can find endless vietnamese shops and restaurants as well as different grocery shops, irish bars, polish cafe´s and typical american burger places. You can also find a real community (I saw people wearing a OFD-Originally from Dorchester shirt!)
If you`r planning to visit UMass Boston I would definitly recommend to look for a place close to the stations of the red T-Line (the subway system in Boston) like Savin Hill, Ashmont or JFK/UMass, which is the one closest to your school. I found a great place next to JFK/UMass and I love the fact that my way to school just takes me ten minutes :-)!
Living in Dorchester is relatively cheap compared to other neighborhoods and depending from what your looking for you can find places for about 600 $ rent per month and utilities are often included.
You must confess that there aren´t always only good news about Dorchester and when reading the newspaper you find some stories about people beeing robbed or even of shootings. But in my opinion it depends on how you personally behave and where in Dorchester you live. If you avoid running around alone at night and look for a place close to main streets and the T-line, I am convinced you won´t see Dorchi´s ugly face.
I began to love my neighborhood very fast and I hope once you are coming to Boston and start looking for a place to live, you keep Dorchester in mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment